Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Moe-haku

I'm still waiting for my new PC to arrive, so I can't touch up my photos for the next cafe review yet. In the meantime, here's a little something to tide you over for the moment.

Both the Hiragana Times (a magazine for helping learners of English and Japanese) and the Metropolis have run short comments on Moe-haku, what's being billed as the first moe-only convention. The website's only in Japanese, but it does have some nice photos of "moe" characters. The expo's being held at Makuhari Messe center in Chiba (east of Tokyo closer to Narita airport) for one day, March 21st. Entry fee is 2000 yen ($22 USD). There's lots of emphasis on itasha and itansha (cars and bikes dressed up with big stickers of anime and video game characters), but there will also be voice actors, cosplay events and photo sessions. There may even be a maid or two in there somewhere.

6 comments:

  1. There were at least six maids there today. It was a great event, one I'd recommend to any anime / auto / Akiba enthusiast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got any photos of the event to show off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also attended the event today. Sorting out the pictures I took, will write a blog post soon (hopefully this week, though we have visitors so it may take longer).

    It wasn't a big show, so I thought it was a little pricey for 2,000 yen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to mention that I posted a few videos on my YouTube channel (sorry, no maids captured in the videos).

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TSOTE - I'm putting up a few photos at a time here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41907039@N05/sets/72157623661819910/

    I also attended the Low Rider and New Style Custom Car shows that day (yes, they were all at the same venue, Makuhari Messe) so my attention is a bit divided. I promise much more pics from Moehaku soon.

    @bartman905 - I respectfully disagree that it was pricey. At 2000 yen, it much cheaper than both the Low Rider (4000 yen) and the New Style Custom (3150) shows. And it was really the most fun of the three events that day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To both of you, thanks for the photos! Looks like a fun show. Next time, I hope they correct their shortcomings and add more maids. Can never go wrong with more maids.

    Pricing is relative. While other shows may cost more, I still consider 2000 yen at the door to be a significant outlay. Especially since it's cost me at least another 1000 yen just for the train travel to get out there, I'm much happier with "free". "Free" appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete